LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional networking platform, has revolutionized the way professionals connect and engage with each other. With over 774 million users worldwide, LinkedIn offers a goldmine of opportunities for career growth, industry insights, and networking. One of the fundamental features of LinkedIn is the ability to follow someone without having to connect with them directly.
In this blog post, we’ll delve into the art of following someone on LinkedIn and explore how this simple action can open doors to valuable connections, enrich your professional journey, and help you stay up-to-date with industry trends. We’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to follow someone on LinkedIn and share best practices to make the most of this powerful feature. Let’s begin!
What Is LinkedIn Profiles
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty of following others on LinkedIn, it’s crucial to understand the subtle difference between “connecting” and “following.” When you connect with someone on LinkedIn, it requires their acceptance, and you become part of each other’s network. In contrast, following a LinkedIn user means you’re subscribing to their updates and posts, without formally becoming a part of their network. Following someone allows you to access their content, receive updates on their activity, and stay connected without the need for a formal connection request.
Benefits of Following on LinkedIn
- Expand Your Network: Following relevant professionals and industry leaders helps you expand your network without sending connection requests to everyone. This way, you can stay informed about their updates and connect with them at a later stage when you’ve established a more meaningful connection.
- Industry Insights: By following influencers, thought leaders, and subject matter experts, you gain access to valuable industry insights, thought-provoking content, and the latest trends. These insights can aid in your professional growth and decision-making.
- Enhance Your Feed: Following experts in your field ensures that your LinkedIn feed is enriched with high-quality content. Engaging with such content can foster learning, provide inspiration, and spark meaningful discussions.
Different Ways To Follow Someone on LinkedIn
You can build a close relationship with a LinkedIn user when you follow them. LinkedIn will show you the content they post, career progress, interests, and updates they share on LinkedIn. Here are the different ways to follow people on LinkedIn.
Method 1: Via Their Profile
You can follow someone on LinkedIn by clicking the follow button on their profile. You can do it via the app or the browser.
- To do it on LinkedIn app, follow the steps below:
- Launch your LinkedIn app.
- Tap their username to access their profile.
- Tap the “+ Follow” button beside the Message tab.
- If you don’t see the follow button, click the More (three-dotted) button.
- Select “+ Follow.” If you can’t see a “+ Follow” option, click Connect.
- You’ll follow them the moment you press the “Connect” button.
You can also do it using browser on computer:
- Go to LinkedIn and enter your logins to access your account.
- Find the user you want to follow and open their profile.
- Tap the “+ Follow” button just above the About section.
- Tap “More” if you can’t see the “+ Follow” button.
- Click the “+ Follow” option.
- If you can’t see a “+ Follow” button, tap “Connect” You may fail to see “+Follow” if they are a third-degree connection.
- Tap Send to send an invitation.
Note: Once you tap “Connect” on another person’s LinkedIn profile, you automatically follow them. You’ll access all the updates they post on the platform.
Method 2: Newsfeed
If you scroll through your LinkedIn homepage, you’ll notice that you can follow people with the “+ Follow” button beside their usernames. However, a few people (those who have attained the Influencer title on LinkedIn) have the “+ Follow” button on their profile. Therefore, use this method if you plan to follow a LinkedIn user with an Influencer title.
Method 3: Via the Search Button
Use the search bar to connect and follow someone on LinkedIn. LinkedIn’s search bar is a great tool LinkedIn users can use to expand their professional network.
If you know whom to follow and their exact LinkedIn username, use the Search Bar to follow them. You can do it using the app or the browser.
- Open your LinkedIn app.
- Navigate to the “Search icon” on the homepage.
- Enter the person’s username and press the “Enter” or “Return” button on your phone’s keyboard.
- Select their “username” among the results.
- Tap the “Connect” or “+ Follow” button next to their username on the results list.
- Access your LinkedIn via LinkedIn.
- Fill in your login details.
- Right-click the search icon on your homepage screen.
- Enter the user’s username on the search bar.
- Press the “Enter” button on your PC.
- Navigate to the user’s username among the results.
- Click the “+ Follow” or “Connect” button next to their name.
Leveraging LinkedIn’s “Follow” Feature
Now that you know how to follow someone on LinkedIn, let’s explore the various ways you can leverage this feature to enhance your networking experience:
- Follow Industry Experts and Thought Leaders: Take advantage of LinkedIn’s vast pool of industry experts and thought leaders. Seek out professionals whose work aligns with your interests and goals. Following these influential individuals can give you a unique perspective, help you stay informed about the latest developments, and provide inspiration for your own career path.
- Engage with Followed Content: Following someone on LinkedIn isn’t just a one-way street. Engage with their content by liking, commenting, and sharing their posts. Meaningful engagement can lead to valuable connections and enhance your visibility within their network.
- Stay Updated with Industry Trends: As you follow industry leaders and experts, you’ll receive notifications and updates on their activities. This helps you stay informed about new articles, posts, and job opportunities they share, enabling you to keep up with the latest trends in your field.
LinkedIn Etiquette: Best Practices for Following
While following someone on LinkedIn is a fantastic way to grow your network and gain insights, it’s essential to adhere to proper LinkedIn etiquette. Here are some best practices to keep in mind:
- Be Professional in Your Interactions: Remember that LinkedIn is a professional platform, so keep your interactions respectful and courteous. Avoid sending spammy or promotional messages to those you follow, as it may lead to a negative impression.
- Don’t Overwhelm with Follow Requests: It’s tempting to follow numerous people in the hopes of gaining more followers in return. However, avoid overwhelming users with excessive follow requests, as it can be seen as intrusive.
- Engage Thoughtfully and Authentically: When you interact with someone you follow, do so genuinely and thoughtfully. Provide valuable insights, ask relevant questions, and add to the conversation. Meaningful engagement is more likely to yield fruitful relationships.
Managing Followed Profiles on LinkedIn
As you continue to follow individuals on LinkedIn, you might find that your feed becomes cluttered or less relevant over time. Here’s how to manage the profiles you follow effectively:
- Organize Your Followed Profiles: LinkedIn allows you to organize your followed profiles into custom lists, such as industry leaders, mentors, or potential collaborators. This feature ensures that you can access updates from specific groups of people more efficiently.
- Regularly Review Your Followed Profiles: As your professional interests evolve, it’s essential to periodically review the profiles you follow. If someone’s content is no longer relevant or valuable, feel free to unfollow them.
Benefits of Being Followed on LinkedIn
Just as you benefit from following others, having a substantial number of followers on your LinkedIn profile offers several advantages:
- Increased Visibility: As you gain more followers, your posts and updates are exposed to a broader audience. This increased visibility can help you establish yourself as an authority in your field.
- Enhanced Credibility: A large following can enhance your professional credibility. People often perceive profiles with a significant number of followers as more authoritative and influential.
- Networking Opportunities: When people follow your profile, it opens the door to potential networking opportunities. Recruiters, industry peers, and potential collaborators may reach out based on your engaging content and thought leadership.
Building a Meaningful LinkedIn Network
While following someone on LinkedIn can be a valuable way to expand your network, it’s crucial to strike a balance between following and connecting. Here are some tips for building a meaningful LinkedIn network:
- Connect Strategically: Focus on connecting with people who align with your professional goals and interests. Sending personalized connection requests and highlighting mutual interests can increase the likelihood of acceptance.
- Engage Regularly: Engage actively with your network by liking, commenting, and sharing their content. Thoughtful engagement fosters deeper connections and increases your visibility within your network.
- Be Genuine: Authenticity is essential on LinkedIn. Be yourself, share your professional journey, and don’t be afraid to express your opinions thoughtfully.
In conclusion, following someone on LinkedIn is a simple yet powerful way to grow your network, stay informed, and foster professional growth. By following industry experts and thought leaders, engaging meaningfully with their content, and building a strong network, you can unlock a world of opportunities on LinkedIn. Remember to adhere to proper LinkedIn etiquette, manage your followed profiles regularly, and focus on building genuine connections for long-term success. With these practices in place, you’ll be well on your way to maximizing the potential of LinkedIn as a platform for professional development and networking. Happy following!